Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Open up

I was at church this past Sunday (New Life Church in Vacaville). It's a good church–unpretentious, easy to understand relevant teachings, and they have refreshments :) Although, it's not perfect. But that's understandable. Each person has their opinion and depending how you're feeling at the moment, the songs and sermons will have its respective effect. As they say, to each their own. But… (see last paragraph)

A lot of "life" has happened recently–AJ's passing, relationship conflicts, meeting new friends, etc. As I walked in to the church, I had expectations or hopes that I'd hear some specific message through the opening songs to lift me up. You know, the usual "you are stronger through Me" or "your wishes will be granted if you believe…" I don't remember what the songs were about anymore, but I'm sure it had a positive tone in that vain. But all the while standing with everyone else, feeling the atmosphere of love, inspiration, community… it was just that! I realized at that moment, even before hearing what Pastor Jon had to say, that it wasn't so black or white; that I didn't have to just bank on hearing the "right" words at the "right" moment in order to feel like I got something out of my church experience. It's also the environment and the people I surround myself with that makes the difference in how well I can live my life. It's nothing life changing, but just as tremendous an inspiration to lift oneself up.

Then Pastor Jon started with his sermon. Funny enough, the theme he started out with was something about going to church, and what they do at New Life to benefit the church-goers, such as the baptisms, the refreshments, the community service, and so on. It's like he elaborated more on what was processing in my mind about just being there to experience the love and inspiration. It looks like after all that there was a message for me, right?

Upon leaving church, I was content. And I was left with only one more thought, that others would capitalize on opportunities, big or small, to be uplifted and inspired. And really, does it matter if you're "officially" a part of that religion, that club, or that group when the end-result is all the same? (the obvious answer is no)

"don't talk about it, be about it." –AJ
"i would do anything for love…" –Meatloaf


No comments: